Top > Notes
These documents are more or less technical in nature, so if you're
a Windows user I'd give up now. Except that some "fluffyness" seems
to have crept in somehow.
Exim: Blocking Mail on HELO parameter
- An ACL snippet to implement a mechanism in Exim4 for blocking
servers based on their connection announcement name.
Exim: Blocking Windows executables
- How to block Windows executables with Exim+Exiscan.
Exim: Testing a New Configuration
- A reminder to dumb system administrators (me) of the command
to use for testing a new configuration file.
Exim: Various Tests On The HELO Parameter
- A number of ACL snippets to perform a number of checks on the
parameter given to the announcement name.
Fedora Core 2: Unable to open /dev/cryptonet
- Just remove the hwcrypt RPM!
Firefox: Proxy Settings
- My preferred values for "No proxy for".
- A simplistic testing of various Linux filesystems to determine the
best choice for web caching (and other applications that result
in predominantly small files).
Gentoo Linux: Category INFO missing
- Fix for an error that I seem to bump into at the wrong time.
Gentoo Linux: Installation on an Acer Ferarri
- Notes on installing on my laptop.
IRIX Build Notes
- Personal documentation on building a few open-source packages under
IRIX OS Notes
- Notes on IRIX peculiarities.
Reject not Bounce
- A plea to avoid contributing to malware and spam distribution by
allowing mail servers to reject mail with an appropriate error
rather than bouncing an error message.
SGI Octane: Controlling the Fan Speed
- How to increase the speed of the fan in your Octane, and more
importantly (if you don't have ear defenders) how to slow it
Solaris: Controlling Network Interfaces
- A cheat sheet on controlling network interfaces including
how to disable auto-negotiation on Sun Solaris systems.
- A graph illustrating the amount of spam I receive at home.
Toshiba Magnia SG20: Installing OpenBSD
- How to install OpenBSD on the SG20.
Why Mailservers with underscores don't work
- Some mail servers are given names with underscores which
can result in mail being blocked from them. This explains
why underscores are not permitted and why some mail servers
have started blocking them.
Worms and Viruses
- A quick explanation of the difference between a worm and a
virus ... because people often confuse the two.